A Temple related to
the Koka One Hundred-Member Gun Squad
Chofuku-ji Temple (Tadono, Koka-cho)
Koka One-Hundred-Member Gun Squad, referred to as Koka Hyakunin-gumi, were Tokugawa
Shogunate’s forces who lived in Edo
(present-day Tokyo) to guard the Ote San-no-mon Gate of Edo-jo Castle. The ancestors of Koka
Hyakunin-gumi were Koka
clans who fought on the side of Tokugawa forces at Fushimi-jo Castle and lost many of its
warriors during the preceding
battles of the Sekigahara Battle in 1600.
In 1849, Umeda Kanjuro from the Hyakunin-gumi visited Chofuku-ji Temple to hold a memorial service for his ancestors and placed their ancestral tablet in the temple.
The members of the Hyakunin-gumi, who lived far away in Edo, respected their ancestors and never lost their connection with Koka. The tablets are carefully preserved to this day, and achievements of the Koka clan, also referred to as Koka ninja will be passed on to future generations.